Important Facts About Optical Thin Film Coatings
Optical thin film coatings are a thin layer of optically transparent material applied on the surface of the glass, lenses, mirrors, windows, etc. The thin-film coating will protect your surface from external elements such as dust, air pollution, and scratches.
If your window, lens, or mirror has become cloudy or dusty, then there is a chance that it will cause eye irritation or even lead to blindness.
What are optical thin film coatings?
Optical thin film coatings are a type of optical coating that is applied to glass and other transparent materials. They are used in conjunction with traditional chemical processes such as painting, anodizing, or vacuum deposition. If you are looking for optical components manufacturers, then you should check PFG.
Optical thin film coatings can be divided into two categories:
1) Liquid phase deposition coating
The liquid phase material is first evaporated onto the substrate surface, then vaporized onto the substrate surface to form a layer of solid.
The spray-coating process uses a suspension (a colloidal dispersion) of tiny droplets in a carrier fluid which coats the surface.
Essential Facts About Optical Thin Film Coatings
Here are some facts about optical thin film coatings:
- It works better in low-temperature climates than in high-temperature climate
- Glass coated with thin films is solid and durable. They can withstand high temperatures and even resist heat. Glass with thin film coatings will remain clear and transparent even when exposed to extreme heat.
- Thin-film coatings are water-resistant. Thus it is possible to wash them using a soft cloth, spray, or even a damp rag. The thin-film layer will not easily get damaged or scratched by water.
- Many people prefer to use thin-film coatings because of their ease of cleaning. These thin film coatings are easy to clean and maintain. There is no condition to upset the glass or mirror losing its transparency.
Thin-film coatings reduce heat in the room
With the help of thin-film coatings, the energy bill will be reduced. When glass windows become cold, there is an increase in the level of heat inside the room. It is due to the heat of the sun and the heat from the earth’s atmosphere. Thin-film coatings can absorb the heat from the sun. Thus, the heat inside the room can be reduced.
Glass coated with thin films is more durable
You can have the same glass windows for a long time if you choose to have them coated with thin films. If you had your glass windows covered with thin films, they would last for a longer time than when it was not coated with any thin film.
Optical thin film coatings are very simple to apply and can be done at home by yourself. You only need a pair of standard household tools to make it happen. Your local window dealer or installer can decide the optimal coating thickness for your glass. The best thin film coatings for windows are Corning Glass Coatings or Ultra Optics thin film coatings.